Saturday 7 March 2015

IF I WANT TO CHOOSE GEOLOGY AS MY FUTURE COURSE IN UNIVERSITY WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT?


Hai everyone. So this entry is basically to guide all of the SPM leavers out there and those who are currently in their final year in diploma or matriculation or foundation. As you guys can see in the title I will talk about geology course in UKM. I will try to cover all the aspects in term of what you guys need to do, what you guys can expect and whats your future hold ( even though I cannot guarantee mine haha ). Maybe I should start with my introduction. So im Syahida currently in my final semester in UKM and im taking Geology OBVIOUSLY.

So the first thing is, what is geology? I actually knew geology when I was in form 3 when my science teacher mentioned that he was a geologist before he decided to resign and become a teacher ( OF COURSE ). He mentioned about him had to travel and have some problem with juggling time with him being with his family. So the word TRAVELLING kinda caught my attention ( AND YES YOU HAVE TO TRAVEL A LOT AND WE’LL GET THERE )  and I decided to apply for this course when I finished my foundation. Ops, I kinda off track, geology simply means the study of rocks. LITERALLY. ( Sounds boring? Don’t go. Stay with me. Im not done yet ).



Now, you get the idea what a geology is. How can I apply for this course? And what is my educational background? I am a science student. I took biology, physics and chemistry during my school years and also when I did my foundation in Puncak Alam. Some of you guys might wonder “ What if I don’t have a science background and wants to take Geology?”. The answer is, doesn’t matter. But yes to have the basic knowledge about science could be an advantage. One of my lecturer said during our first class “ Today all of you guys have the same start, it does not matter, whats matter is how you finish it” GITTEW. ( My classmates came from different background too.)

See, now you guys have already passed the first baby step. Oh before that, these are the non private universities that offer Geology/Geosience Course for the degree UKM, UM, UMK, Uitm ( But I guess they offer Petroleum Geology, *sorry kalau salah*) and UMS ( might have others, tak ingat.) But since I study in UKM so im just gonna tell how my university works. During my year, UKM only offered to those who achieved 3.75 CGPA and above ( belajaq elok elok guys ) and it is advisable for you guys to apply for scholarship ( JPA ) because it requires a lot of money. Why? Remember I did say something about travelling. And it is important for you guys not to be broke before the new semester start.


Freshman year is important for you guys to actually recognize rocks. Oh trust me, they look the same all the time to me when I was first year. But it gets better with time. Don’t be afraid to learn. And don’t worry you guys are in a great hands. We have the best lecturers in Malaysia no doubt. First year is not really busy and it is advisable for you guys to be able managing your own schedule. Yeah we arranged our own schedule. For the first semester students will be travelling to Segamat and Negeri Sembilan (couldn’t remember ) and this fieldtrip is to expose student on how to identify rocks in field. Second semester also not that busy ( or is it just me feel that way ) but during the semester holiday, you guys will be travelling to Pantai Timur. This will cover Kelantan, Pahang and Terengganu for a week. Imagine yourself have to be in 3 states for a week. Yes you will drain yourself obviously. Berpanas berhujan for like 10 hours on field. BUT, YOU WILL GET USE TO IT.


Second year first semester and hello to NO WEEKEND at all. Who took your weekend? It is this subject call Mapping Technique or in UKM known as Teknik Pemetaan. And I know you guys were like..? What Peta? Relax, like I said, you guys are in a great hands. You will be learning this subject with Prof. Madya Dr. Zaiton (Sila Google). She will bring you travel every 2 weeks during weekend and after each week when you guys went travelling , you guys will provide her a geological map using the data you guys acquire during the fieldwork. Don’t worry, you’ll work in pair. Its hard, its really hard. Im not gonna lie. Full of tears, frustration and exhausted but you guys have friends who feel the same way like you do. So keep on encouraging each other. Before you guys enter second semester, you guys will have to go for a fieldwork for a week and will cover Langkawi, Kedah and Perlis for a week. Trust me it is fun and exciting. And don’t you guys THINK that’s the only fieldwork you guys are going. NO. you have another fieldwork in Terengganu. Also a mapping technique but this time you guys are gonna camp. Set up tent and cook and have a guitar session at the beach ( that’s what we did ). You guys will camp there for like a week, daylight do the fieldwork during night staying up and finishing the report. THIS WILL TAKE PLACE DURING YOUR MIDSEMESTER BREAK.  Then you guys will be off to Kuala Krai Kelantan also do the same thing as you guys do in Terengganu but you guys will be staying in a hotel. 


That very year also you guys have to start pondering about your major and your choosing a SV for you FYP ( we called thesis ). Geology Department in UKM offers Environmental Geology, Tourism Geology, Engineering Geology, Petroleum Geology, Pure Geology and Mining Geology ( I guess I already cover it all ).  For your thesis, some lecturer will provide you with the title and some are not. Choose wisely.

During your final year and this is currently where I am, I had to prepare for my thesis a month prior to my fieldwork ( Duit sendiri, maka simpanlah duit anda ). The period of staying in your site is depending on how much work is needed. So TIME REALLY IS MONEY. You have to prepare it yourself, your SV will only guide you. But don’t worry, all the knowledge from your fieldwork will be applied during your own fieldwork. Thus, don’t worry okay?

So now you know what to expect during your degree. The last step.. What is your future hold? To be honest Im also worried. Everyone is but be positive in your life. Don’t just aim for the oil and gas company. Yes the income is good, great actually but if you don’t get any offer from them you can always try for onshore. Who do you think people will look for before they develop an area? Who do you think people will look for before they mine gems? Who do you think they look for before extract the groundwater? Do not narrow your life to an offshore only.

Okay guys, any inquiries, feel free to drop it here on the comment sections. The admin will try to answer.

Loves,

Syahidaton Akmal J


10 comments:

  1. Hi...kos geologi ni gune byk duit ea?bape duit abis tuk 1 sem ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susah x belajarnyer kak shahida

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. Did anyone continue their study on engineering geology master degree in UKM?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. Did anyone continue their study on engineering geology master degree in UKM?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Assalamualaikum kak. Kalau sem 1 mmg kena abis bnyk duit ye? Agak2nye brp ye?

    ReplyDelete
  6. total satu sem dalam RM300 untuk fieldwork

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi can i ask u? i see the requirement for degree geologist is 3.00 for matriculation. I want to further my degree in geologist. i like adventures so thats why i want to further in this course

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salam sejahtera. Nak tanya course geology ini diajar dalam bm ke bi?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salam, sekarang syarat 3.00cgpa tapi not sure dia tengok spm ke tak?

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Selalunya intake bulan berapa
    2. Kak ad guna scholarship apa2 x?

    ReplyDelete